Monday, January 29, 2007

G.T.R. Station, Markham, Ont., Canada

In 1871, the Toronto & Nipissing Railway came to Markham. The Grand Trunk Railway took over the railway in 1893, and became part of CNR in 1918.

High School, Markham

The brick two-storey school in this postcard view was built in 1892, as an addition to an older 1879 school building, which became a science lab.

Secondary school education beyond grade 8 (or the "upper fourth" as it was then known) began in 1857, when the Markham Grammar School opened on a site between Franklin and George Streets north of Church Street. In the 1860s, the school moved to the site at the corner of Joseph and Albert Streets.
Girls were not admitted to the school until 1868.
In 1871, the railway came through Markham Village, making high school-level education accessible for young people in other villages. The school became Markham High School, and students came in by train daily from places like Stouffville, Unionville and Agincourt. However, travel on local roads was still so slow that students from remoter hamlets and farms often boarded in the village during the week, going home only on weekends.

After World War II, rapid population growth led to the opening of the new and modern Markham District High School on Church Street in 1954. The old school building became the Markham Union Masonic Lodge.

Main Street, Mount Joy, Ontario

Agriculture Building, Markham, Ontario, Canada

1916: The new Agricultural Hall (Rink) was built at the north end of the Markham Fair grounds.
In March of 1916, a big fire had burned down several buildings on the fairgrounds - the rink, the “Palace” agricultural hall and the ticket office. The Economist & Sun reported:

Quite a heavy fall of snow had fallen during the night and the fire brigade had some difficulty in getting reels through the snow, but in 15 minutes had two streams playing on the blazing buildings. A thirty mile gale was blowing, and in less than an hour the rink and hall were burned to the ground.”

Rectory and Grace Anglican Church

The Church Rectory was built in 1889 beside Grace Anglican Church on Lot 11, Con. 7.

Grace Anglican Church

Grace Church was built in 1848 on Lot 11, Concession 7. When Highway 7 was constructed to eliminate the jog at the 8th Line (Main Street), the Church was moved to the north side of the Highway. In 1963, when Highway 7 was widened, the Church was deconsecrated and demolished.

Methodist Church, Markham, Ont.

Built in 1862 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church. When the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches united in 1926, this building became St. Andrew's United Church (32 Main Street). A later vestibule addition now covers the eastern front seen here.